I have now switched my design over to using the Minim library for sound visualisation This is a good alternative as it allows me to create a visualisation of the space fairly easily. I found a series of tutorials that went through the basics of working with sound and how to visualise it on the screen. The method allows me to create a graphical picture of how the space looks and display it back to any users occupying the space.
Unlike the OpenCV library, Minim is fairly well documented with Tutorials and information online, including a Github page where they give instructions how how to utilise it properly.
I have now re made my project to include this Minim audio library and I believe it was a lot more effective than how my original idea would have turned out. I believe the minimalistic design contributes to the overall effect and style of the new piece and as a result it is much cleaner and crisper.
When developing this idea I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right things and that the things that I was doing were working. To ensure this the project underwent testing before it was ready to be rolled out. This testing included stages prior to the introduction of the minim library when all the project was was was tweets being pulled down and displayed on the screen. At that stage I tested the program out with several different hash tags, including ‘#Bendgate’ and ‘#BournemouthUni’, to make sure that it worked just the same with both and they worked just fine.
When I moved onto the implementation of the Minim library I was required to test the program several times as I had to fine tune how sensitive the bars on the screen were to the sound around the computer. Originally the bars were barely effected at all by sound and they weren’t really visible. This was remedied by multiplying the sensitivity by a factor of 8. This enabled the sound bars to be considerably more visible to the user.
It’s worth noting that I also had some issues whilst testing on my personal computer where the program din’t appear to pick up most of the sound in the room. This turned out to be a program on my sound card that was actively canceling out ambient background noise from the microphone. Once I discovered this I fixed it very quickly but it did cause me a good half hour of confusion.